Thursday, June 18, 2009

Florida....very long post:)

So I have been a bad blogger.

At least that's what my dad informed me when he pointed out that I had not posted Florida pictures yet (apparently on my last post I promised that I would post Florida pictures very soon for the grandparents). Since that post both grandparents have seen the Florida pics in person....but I will carry out and post anyway.

Quick update....lots has happened since my last post. Our computer has crashed and we are on to a new one (which mostly accounts for the delay in my posts) and we are now the proud owners of a computer complete with Windows Vista...I swear I'm about to jump on the Mac bandwagon, the "king of pop" has passed, Governor Sanford has apparently found his "soul mate" in Argentina...but don't worry, he promised to try and fall back in love with his wife, my position at the university has come to close and I am now a (tempory) stay-at-home mom.

On to Florida....

I now know the moment of panic that every parent feels when their child begins to cry on a flight. On the return flight from Florida we had not even taken off when Olivia started really letting loose with her cries. She was hungry. And sometimes I want to cry too when I'm hungry. Fortunately for us she ate and then fell asleep about 10 minutes in and slept for the rest of it. I asked my brother Stephen what he would have done if she had screamed nonstop for the whole trip. He said that he would calmly get his ipod out and listen to it as loud as he could. Thank you for your support and help Uncle Steve. My main concern with flying was that it would hurt her ears. And not for a second did she act like anything was bothering her. I did force either the pacifier or bottle in her mouth though the whole time we were going up and again when we came back down.


Welcome to Disney World Stephen...we are so glad you are excited to be here!

Olivia, on the other hand, is thrilled to be here. It makes no difference to her that we only slept for about 5 hours...she is ready to go.






She is soooo excited about Animal Kingdom! Please note the disney themed onesie and hairbow.

Not loving Animal Kingdom.

And she's back. She remembered that Disney is the happiest place on earth.

Best part about our hotel? You can "check out" a goldfish for the night. True story.

The one requirement for your checked out fish was that they must be taken downstairs at 11am and 7pm for feedings. I wonder how many goldfish don't make it back to that counter? And would I have been liable if something had happened to it?




Family self portrait take 1...
And 2....

And we're done...

Even at Olivia's young age we have committed to not be the parents who buy anything in sight and whatever their child demands. But you need to know that her eyes lit up when she saw baby Simba. She squealed, smiled and Simba provided us with quite a break.


So this was technically taken after the trip. But look....her first pair of shoes!!!


I will say that vacationing will never be the same as it used to be. It's amazing what a difference a tiny 14lb little girl can make! So yes, it was different. But not bad. We were so glad to have Stephen with us. He is a brave soul to travel with all of us...and he even acted like he had fun:)

So for those of you that might be considering traveling with a small one....here are some tips for you...

1. FYI....even though children need sunscreen...be aware that they might rub it into their sensitive eyes. Here is an example....the first day when we were heading to the pool I coated Olivia down with sunscreen. I mean I covered her naked body with it so that even if her little swimsuit were to move then the sun could still not burn her. In doing that I also covered her face and hands. Well, by the time I get to the lobby with her to meet Shawn and Stephen she has red splotches all over her face and her right eye was almost completely closed and watering terribly. OH I panicked!!! I ran back up to the room with her and washed her face and hands with a washcloth and it almost immediately went away. She was not the least bit bothered by this. But I felt absolutely horrible.

2. No matter how late babies go to bed...they somehow still wake up at the same time in the morning. For example, we tragically did not get to our hotel the first night until 1am. I naively thought she would just sleep the whole time we were traveling and then we would just transition her into bed at the hotel. No. She was up. But the best part is.....she was STILL awake the next morning at like 6am
3. Small children may not share your thrill at all times for Disney World, the pool, ocean, etc.

We had a great time though! We completely messed up any routine that she had and she kept her game face on (for the most part). And while she was a good little flier. I will admit that it made both Shawn and I wonder if we had been a little ambitious in our Europe trip. So we might be cutting out one of the places we were planning to go while we are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment